Last Updated on May 17, 2019
The search for the best hunting backpack continues. We scour the earth to ensure you get it just right. A wrong backpack might mean a failed hunting trip. What we’re looking for is one which will hold all your gear without compromising on comfort.
What we’re looking for is a pack that’ll remain steadfast in the wake of the harsh outdoor environment. What we’re looking for is a backpack that does all this and still manages to look beautiful. Our search has introduced us to manufacturers like Badlands, Eberlestock, Tenzing and Alps Outdoor Z.
These companies are making amazing products with diverse and spectacular features. And each backpack is as epic as the next. It all depends on your intended use and preference. There are the smaller daypacks for the one day hunters or the humongous ones for those who have more to carry. It depends how long you are planning to hike for.
There are the backpacks with meat carrier compartments, and there are those hunting packs with seats. We’ve narrowed it all down to our favorite and know they’ll be your favorite too. So take a look at the best hunting backpacks 2019.
With the staggering amount of gear, how do you haul it all into and out of the bush? The first and most sensible thought is to get a backpack. But you don’t just hop off to the shop and buy the first backpack you lay your eyes at.
Even the purchasing process involves lots of research so that you choose the best hunting backpack. And a hunter is indeed a very patient person. Take time to find the right backpack for all your needs. It must be one that can bear the load of all your gear and still have enough room to carry the kill on your way back.
Luckily, there are multitudes of backpacks in the market. These backpacks come with a variety of features that are ideal for any hunter. Others come with such a wide array of bells and whistles that making a selection of the best hunting backpack might prove to be a laborious task.
Also important to note is that not all backpacks are of good quality. This is where your study will come in handy to help you sift through the junk and identify the quality ones.
- 1 Recommended – The Best Hunting Backpack
- 1.1 1. ALPS OutdoorZ Commander Freighter Frame Plus Pack Bag
- 1.2 2. Badlands 2200 Camouflage Hunting Backpack
- 1.3 3. ALPS OutdoorZ Pursuit Hunting Back Pack
- 1.4 4. Badlands Diablo Day Pack
- 1.5 5. ALPS OutdoorZ Traverse EPS Hunting Pack
- 1.6 6. Eberlestock X2 Hunting BagPack
- 1.7 7. ALPS OutdoorZ Pathfinder Hunting Pack
- 1.8 8. Badlands Superday Pack
- 1.9 9. Eberlestock X1 Hunting Pack
- 1.10 10. Eberlestock X3 LoDrag Pack
- 1.11 11. Tenzing TZ TP14 Turkey Hunting Pack
- 1.12 12. Eberlestock M5 Team Elk Pack
- 1.13 13. Tenzing TZ 4000 Hunting Pack
- 1.14 14. Eberlestock J34 Just One Pack
- 1.15 15. Tenzing TZ 1200 Ultra Light Day Pack
- 2 Buying Guide
- 3 Final Verdict
Hunting Backpack – Comparison Table
1. ALPS OutdoorZ Commander Freighter Frame Plus Pack Bag
2. Badlands 2200 Camouflage Hunting Backpack
3. ALPS OutdoorZ Pursuit Hunting Back Pack
4. Badlands Diablo Day Pack
5. ALPS OutdoorZ Traverse EPS Hunting Pack
6. Eberlestock X2 Hunting BagPack
7. ALPS OutdoorZ Pathfinder Hunting Pack
8. Badlands Superday Pack
9. Eberlestock X1 Hunting Pack
10. Eberlestock X3 LoDrag Pack
11. Tenzing TZ TP14 Turkey Hunting Pack
12. Eberlestock M5 Team Elk Pack
13. Tenzing TZ 4000 Hunting Pack
14. Eberlestock J34 Just One Pack
15. Tenzing TZ 1200 Ultra Light Day Pack
Recommended – The Best Hunting Backpack
Just for you, we scoured the market for the best hunting pack 2018 and have compiled this review. Take a look.
1. ALPS OutdoorZ Commander Freighter Frame Plus Pack Bag
First on our list is the versatile hunting pack from ALPS Outdoor Z Company. This comes as more than just a backpack, it’s bundled with a freighter frame as well. What this tells you is it’s built to bear heavy loads. And it certainly is.
Having dimensions of 15.4 inches by 6.7 inches by 2.4 inches and the capacity of this best hunting backpack is 5250 cubic inches. Being able to bear such an amount of load, it’s a welcome relief that it has an external frame. This frame will ensure even distribution of the weight and keep your shoulders from bearing the brunt of such heft.
However, when you need to, you can easily detach the backpack from the frame and use it as a freighter frame. With numerous compartments, the pack is capable of holding all you need.
It has two side accessory pockets, a large main compartment, a front pocket and a spotting scope pocket. To the side, it has a rifle holder that’s easy to reach and allows easy drawing of the weapon.
But wait, there’s more. It also has a hydration port and pocket to carry enough water to keep you hydrated throughout the expedition.
The Alps Commander Z is made of a highly durable nylon ripstop fabric. This fabric is resistant to tears and scratches and can resist the harsh hunting environment. But that’s not all, under the right conditions, the nylon provides a level of water resistance, ensuring your gear remains dry when in a light shower.
And with a charcoal color, it has the right amount of camouflage to keep you and it inconspicuous. Do you want to carry extra gear yet the bag is full? The pack will allow it. With the lashing straps and webbing loops on the front face, you may lash your extra gear to the outside and be on your way.
This feature ensures that you leave nothing behind. Still, it has a spindrift collar which provides an expanded space at the top. So there’s no need to worry if you’re filling the bag to the brim because it was built specifically for carrying a massive load.
Perhaps you’re unsure about it being the perfect fit for your body. Well, the Alps Commander backpack has an adjustable torso range so you can customize it to fit your size. This range is from 17 inches to 23 inches, just enough to give the pack a snug fit.
- The Alps Commander Z hunting backpack has dimensions of 15.4 inches by 6.7 inches by 2.4 inches.
- It also has a storage capacity of 5,250 cubic inches, large enough to carry a massive load.
- With the freighter frame, the backpack is easy to carry even when filled.
- The pack has a number of compartments; two side accessory pockets, a large main compartment, a front pocket a spotting scope pocket and a rifle holder.
- The hydration port and pocket to the side enables the hunter to carry enough water for the trip.
- Extra gear can be lashed onto the outside thanks to the lashing straps.
- This hunting pack is made of a charcoal nylon rip-stop fabric that is strong and durable.
- Having an adjustable torso range of 17 inches to 23 inches, the backpack can comfortably fit any body size.
This hunting backpack can also double up as a daypack and is arguably the best hunting day pack in the market right now. The Badlands 2200 Camouflage is a beautifully built, top loading pack.
It has dimensions of 19 inches by 17 inches by 19 inches able to carry a capacity of 2250 cubic inches thus making it a very ample backpack. Weighing in at only 5 pounds and 15 ounces, it bears no weight, leaving that to the load.
And you can carry a huge amount of gear as it has eight compartments for storage. You can carry essentials like spotting scopes in the integrated spotting scope pocket, tripods and also a pistol.
That’s right! It includes a pistol holster on either side of the hip belt. And using the straps on its face, you can comfortably secure a bow or rifle. This makes the bag popular with both rifle hunters and archers.
The Badlands 2200 has an interior frame. It’s made of a T-6 aluminum aircraft material that ensures that, despite the load, the pack remains sturdy. But that’s not the main importance of the frame; it helps ease the burden of carrying such heft.
With the frame, the weight is evened out over your back and rested on your hips. You’ll hardly believe that you’re carrying the backpack most of the time. In fact, it has been used to haul up to half a cow with ease. So, with this frame, your shoulders will be relieved from the strain, allowing you to carry more for longer.
Also, being ergonomically designed the backpack gives you comfort while carrying it. The straps are wide and comfortably hang over your shoulders. Then, the hip belt securely embraces you around your waist, allowing you to fasten the bag securely. This pack is made of the high-quality KXO-32 Fabric.
If you have never heard of it, this fabric is a strong and durable material that passes on its hardwearing quality onto the backpack. The fabric is also ideal because of its silent nature. As you shift around in the forest, edging towards your prey, the backpack remains silently seated on your back.
It won’t give away any signs of movement making it an excellent choice of material for the best hunting backpack. Then, the scraping of the bushes and branches on the bag won’t have any effect on it as KXO-32 is scratch and tear resistant.
But there’s more; it is waterproof with Badlands telling us that it’s the most waterproof material in the hunting world. We take their word for it. Getting thirsty? The pack has an inbuilt two-liter hydration pouch. With this, you can be sure to carry enough water to keep you well hydrated throughout your hunting trip. And with the straps on it, you can carry an extra water bottle if you need to.
- The Badlands 2200 has an internal frame that’s made of T-6 aluminum. This is a sturdy material.
- The frame ensures weight is evenly distributed on your back, resting the load on your hips and alleviating the shoulders from strain.
- It has a bat wing design that enhances carrying comfort.
- This Badlands 2200 has dimensions of 19 inches by 17 inches by 19 inches and can carry a capacity of 2250 cubic inches.
- With eight pockets and extra straps, the backpack functions well as both a daypack and meat hauler.
- Made of the KXO-32 fabric, it is capable of withstanding scratches from tree branches and bushes and is also waterproof.
- The material is also very quiet.
This time, the designers at Alps Outdoor Z present to us this beautiful archers’ preferred backpack. However, don’t get me wrong, this backpack is ideal for rifle users as well. Able to hold a capacity of 2700 cubic inches, its size is perfect for a hunting expedition as it’ll carry all that you’ll need and more.
It has a plethora of pockets, including; an organizational shelf pocket, a large front pocket, an even larger main pocket and lower side mesh pockets. All these are conveniently located for easy access.
Archers love it because of the dedicated bow pocket that can be concealed when not in use. Then, there are also quiver holders on either side of the bag that can hold your arrows within reach.
In addition, it has a drop down weapon holder that is designed to hold your gun or bow securely. It ensures that whenever you’re in need of the weapon, it’s ready to come off without resistance.
But there’s more. With included webbing loops, you can lash onto the outside of the pack, any extra gear that you may be carrying.
Weighing in at just four pounds, this Alps Outdoor Z pursuit backpack is light enough to allow the weight of the load to take space inside it. And it’s comfortable to carry. With an internal aluminum frame, the weight of the load will be spread evenly on your back.
And we know that having such a frame saves our shoulders the agony of having to bear the weight. Your hips will do more of this work. This is a good thing as the hips are stronger and it gives you an upright stance when walking. Also, the padded shoulder harness comfortably hangs over your shoulder. The torso range is also adjustable to suit your size as the waist belt wraps itself around your hips.
Made of a material known as brushed Realtree Xtra HD fabric, the backpack is encased in a tough and rugged material that allows the pack to hold up against harsh environments. It doesn’t rip easily and is strong enough to bear the massive weight you’ll be hauling in it.
To protect it from water, there’s an included rain cover that splendidly lets the rain roll of the backpack without seeping into it. Your gear will remain protected from water, and the backpack will remain safe. Speaking of water, when on your expedition you can carry enough water to keep you well hydrated.
Well, the pursuit hunting backpack has an inbuilt hydration pocket. It is compatible with a water bladder that you’ll use to supply you with water while on the go. You don’t need to stop to get hydrated.
- The pursuit hunting backpack has a carrying capacity of 2700 cubic inches.
- This backpack has an internal aluminum frame that eases carrying heavy loads.
- With the numerous pockets, it is ideal for carrying all the gear needed for a hunting expedition.
- The front lashing system enables the hunter to lash on extra gear, on the outside of the backpack.
- Made of a material known as Brushed Realtree Xtra HD Fabric, it is strong and durable.
- The included rain cover is convenient on the rainy days.
- The bow pocket and drop down pocket makes it excellent for carrying both a bow and a rifle.
- It also has quiver holders on each side placing the arrows within easy grasp.
4. Badlands Diablo Day Pack
This can easily be the best hunting backpack in the market. It is a highly portable backpack that weighs in at only 4 pounds. Having a carrying capacity of 1900 cubic inches and measuring 13.5 inches by 22.5 inches by 10 inches, this backpack is excellent for carrying a day’s supply of hunting gear.
It has two tiny compartments where you can tuck in a few of your gear and then six pockets that are more than sufficient to carry everything you’ll need. The pack itself is light, but that shouldn’t throw you of its strength to carry a staggering load of up to 40 pounds.
It is strong enough to withstand that weight but won’t transfer the strain onto you. That’s because, within it, there’s an aluminum frame that, as we know, will even out the weight on our backs and bring the load to rest more on our hips, relieving our shoulders of the burden.
Badlands included in The Diablo, their Hypervent Suspension Technology. What this does is it allows easy passage of cool air between your back and the daypack. This makes it ideal for using in hot environments by eliminating overheating allowing your back to stay cool and dry.
To carry your weapons, it has a built in rifle or bow boot that places the weapons conveniently within your reach, allowing you to access them without having to take off the backpack.
Made of Badland’s KXO -32 fabric, it has a strong and durable quality which gives you the confidence you need to take it with you to the harsh bush or forest environment. This fabric is also said to be the quietest in the hunting world. And it certainly is.
Bearing the backpack on your back and trying to edge towards your prey, you’ll notice that the pack remains totally silent. You’ll hardly notice it’s there. And it’s also waterproof.
That’s right; this material is rated to be DWR; Durable Water Repellent. To put it plainly, Badlands made this daypack able to repel moisture with ease. Water is vital while out on the hunt and Badlands know this.
To supply you constantly with water, the pack is hydration compatible, able to fit a water reservoir of three liters. And with the ideal bladder, you can keep yourself supplied with water throughout without having to stop or occupy your hands.
- The Badlands Diablo day pack has dimensions of 13.5 inches by 22.5 inches by 10 inches.
- The backpack has a carrying capacity of 1900 cubic inches and is able to carry a load of up to 40 pounds.
- With the Hypervent Suspension Technology, the backpack keeps air flowing between your back and the daypack, keeping you cool.
- It has two compartments and six pockets for fitting your gear.
- Made of Badlands’ KXO 32 fabric, it is highly durable and water resistant.
- For carrying your weapons, it has a boot that is capable of carrying a rifle or a bow.
- The T-6 aluminum frame keeps the weight from transferring onto your back and shoulders and enhances comfort when carrying.
- The Diablo is hydration compatible, able to fit a 3-liter water reservoir.
This daypack is a versatile hunting companion. It is the appropriate size to carry all your gear. With a carrying capacity of 3300 cubic inches, it is capable of bearing all you need.
However, it is so flexible that in case you need to carry more it will. This is because it has an expandable pack section that adds another 1200 cubic inches of storage. So, in total, this backpack has the ability to carry 4500 cubic inches.
All these tuck away in its numerous pockets and compartments. It has an ample main pocket inside of which there’s an organizational pocket. Two front wing zippered pockets can fit your weapon. There’s also a side pocket and an internal pocket. Wait, there’s more. It also has a drop down pocket which can hold a gun or a bow.
In case the storage is filled, you still have the liberty to lash extra gear thanks to the extension lashing straps that are included. To carry this entire load, it has an H-frame design that’s built into it.
This frame bears a huge chunk of the load, so you don’t have to. You notice that with the bag on your back, you feel less of a strain on your shoulders. That is the frame doing it’s work. For adding the comfort, the shoulder straps are padded.
This makes them soft and supple making it easier for you to haul the load. And like that wasn’t enough, load lifters were added to enhance this comfort. With all these features, you can easily pull 50 pounds in the pack without strain.
To keep the backpack and your gear protected in the event of a downpour, there’s a Blaze orange rain cover included. Place this cover over the backpack, and the water rolls off without seeping in. Then, ALPS Outdoor Z didn’t forget your hydration needs. They included a hydration pocket and port. In here, you can insert a reservoir and attach a hydration bladder to ensure you have your water when you need it.
- The Traverse EPS hunting pack has a carrying capacity of 3300 cubic inches.
- With the Expandable Pack System, you can increase the carrying capacity to 4500 cubic inches.
- The numerous pockets give enough storage space for all your gear.
- The Traverse has a frame with an H design which is ideal for carrying heavy loads without transferring the strain onto your shoulders.
- To add the comfort, the shoulder straps are padded and have load lifters.
- This backpack makes it easy to carry either a bow or a rifle thanks to the drop down the pocket.
- Protecting it in the event of rain is a Blaze Orange rain cover.
- Included in this hunting backpack are a hydration pocket and port for inserting a reservoir.
Eberlestock’s X2 joins the scene and tries to prove itself as the best Elk Hunting Pack. This is an ideal day pack that can carry more than enough gear and supplies for a day’s hunting trip.
It has dimensions of 22.5 inches in its length and 16 inches in its width, giving it a wide base area. In depth, it measures six inches, great for stuffing numerous amounts of gear. If you’re using it as a daypack, then the 1,830 cubic inches of storage will be more than sufficient.
All your items will safely fit in the numerous pockets. Great to have are the quick access pockets to the sides. These are excellent for holding your spotting scopes, tripods or anything else that you’ll want to reach a moment’s notice.
But still, this pack doesn’t know the meaning of the word enough. If it is filled, it can still haul a load the size of a quarter Elk by lashing it to the exterior. This is made possible by the oversized compression straps that fasten around the load, allowing the cargo to latch onto the bag.
You might think that with such a carrying capacity, hauling this bag on your back will be a burden, right? Well, it isn’t. What Eberlestock have done is build into the X2 an aluminum frame that is both tough and lightweight.
With the frame cleverly designed, it spreads the load evenly on your back allowing it to rest on your hips. This frame keeps your back from feeling the strain, allowing you to carry it for long distances. And to maintain airflow and keep your back cool and dry, there’s a full mesh back panel that’s separated from the main pack by a big air gap.
Both bow and gun hunters love this backpack as it accepts side scabbards that give it the capacity to carry a shotgun, hunting rifle or even a bow. These place the weapons within easy reach of the hunter.
You know how important water is and so do the people at Eberlestock. To ensure you have the constant supply of water, the bag is fitted with two hydration compartments. In them, reservoirs can be fitted and connected with the perfect bladder.
Since you’ll be on the move with a massive load on your back, the bladder will ensure you have water throughout while on the move. With these amazing features, the X2 can easily be the best hunting backpack from Eberlestock.
- The Eberlestock X2 hunting backpack has dimensions of 22.5 inches by 16 inches by 6 inches.
- Its total carrying capacity is 1830 cubic inches.
- To carry the massive weight easily, the bag has a lightweight frame aluminum frame fitted.
- The bag also has compression straps on the front to enable fastening of an extra load on the outside.
- There are a generous amount of pockets for safely tucking away your gear.
- For carrying a weapon, the pack is compatible with scabbards that can be fitted on either side.
- With the dual hydration compartments, you can fit a water reservoir that will supply you with enough water throughout your expedition.
This hunting pack is the epitome of versatility. It’s a daypack, it’s a fanny pack, it’s a meat hauler, and it just won’t stop there. If you see for a bag that can transform at an instant, then the Pathfinder is a perfect choice. This pack starts out its day as a fanny pack.
Hauling 800 cubic inches, it does its work quite well. But then, you need more space. You want to carry a lot more gear. What do you do? Do you bring with you another backpack?
Of course not. The Pathfinder transforms to a daypack by unrolling, from within the fanny, the daypack mode. In a matter of seconds, you’ll have a daypack with an extra 1100 cubic inches of storage.
So, in total, the Pathfinder is capable of carrying a capacity of 2700 cubic inches. This is perhaps why some people say it’s the best hunting backpack in the market. The pockets are numerous.
You have two side pockets, a front zippered pocket, the main compartment, fanny pocket and the daypack pocket. All these are designed to keep your gear secure, protecting your items from damage.
And if you have more to carry then take advantage of the extension lashing straps for fastening larger loads on the exterior of the pack. Still, as if that’s not enough, the bag allows attachment of the Outdoor Z accessory pockets to carry binoculars, a camera or whichever other accessories you need.
This versatile creation doesn’t stop there. It continues to have more modes for further convenience. There’s a hauling mode which provides extra fabric and straps for you to carry extra gear or even meat using the lashing straps.
There’s also the bow carrying mode that allows you to attach a bow, saving you the trouble of having to lug it in your hands. So, yes, the Pathfinder is perfect for archers. To give you the comfort while carrying, there’s a shoulder harness system which has soft and wide shoulder straps.
They lie over your shoulders and place the pack behind you as the waist belt wraps around you right above your hips. The load is then evenly distributed on your back, giving you comfort and easing the hauling of the bag’s weight.
- The Pathfinder can be a fanny bag or a daypack.
- The fanny bag has a carrying capacity of 800 cubic inches.
- Unrolling the daypack mode increases the carrying capacity by another 1100 cubic inches.
- With five pockets; two side pockets, a front pocket, the main compartment, the fanny pocket and the daypack pocket, the Pathfinder has enough room to secure your gear inside it.
- The pack is compatible with the ALPS Outdoor Z accessory pockets which can be attached to expand storage.
- It has extension lashing straps for carrying extra loads on the outside.
- With the bow carrying more, a bow can be fastened to the exterior of the pack.
Most hunting backpack reviews will rate Badlands products highly. The Badlands brand is trusted for creating excellent backpacks that stand the test of time. And with their famous lifetime warranty, they show us that they have total faith in their products and rub off that faith onto us.
That’s why the Superday pack stands out, ranking highly in all hunting backpack reviews. Yes, it’s a daypack. And yes, it is super. Thus it’s named the Superday pack. It measures 21 inches by 16 inches by 11 inches and has a weight of just 3.15 pounds.
With such dimensions, you might be apprehensive about its ability to bear a day’s hunting load. But don’t be. This daypack is big enough to fit all your gear and even more. It has three compartments and seven pockets.
And with a carrying capacity of 1950 cubic inches, there’s more than enough space for all your stuff. Don’t forget the ability to carry your weapons. With the adjustable boot, you can securely fasten a bow or a rifle. On the waist belt, there’s a built-in holster to carry a sidearm.
Superday is made of Badland’s tried and tested KXO 32 Camo fabric. And we comprehend that this is one of the most durable fabrics found on the best hunting backpack. It easily wards off scratches from branches and the bushes.
It also prevents water from seeping into the bag as it’s a waterproof material. Then its ability to remain silent is uncanny. While on the hunt, you’ll be surprised at how the daypack doesn’t utter a sound, remaining quiet throughout despite your movement.
Comfort is important, and that’s why on the back of the Superday, there’s a molded foam suspension. This was designed with ergonomics in mind. The foam molds itself to take the shape of your back resting comfortably for you to easily carry it.
Add the wide padded straps, and you have a daypack that isn’t straining to haul on your back. Having such features, we don’t doubt that it could easily be the best hunting backpack available.
- The Badlands Superday pack has dimensions of 21 inches by 16 inches by 11 inches.
- Its carrying capacity is 1950 cubic inches.
- With three compartments and seven pockets, this daypack provides enough storage room for a hunting day’s gear.
- The adjustable boot gives it compatibility to carry a rifle or bow.
- Made of the strong KXO 32 fabric, the Superday pack is durable and waterproof.
- It has a built in holster on the waist belt for carrying a sidearm.
- The daypack has a molded foam suspension that comfortably rests the back on you back.
Eberlestock gives us another pack that jostles for the best hunting backpack title. The X1 is a backpack with hunting pedigree. It was made for the hunt. It yearns to be used by a hunter.
It’s very demeanor, its features, its looks; all betray its rugged outdoor quality. For a day of hunting, the X1 will carry everything you need.
With dimensions of 22.5 inches by 11 inches by 7 inches, you’ll stuff it with more than enough supplies for your hunting expedition. Its carrying capacity is an ample 1900 cubic inches, revealing more of its load bearing quality.
Weighing just under 6 pounds, you won’t have to worry about the backpack having too much weight. Its light weight is excellent if you’re going to pack it to capacity. The X1 is ideal for both rifle and bow users.
The front has X looking pockets that securely hold a bow. The integrated bow bucket on the front gives the bow a place to rest to enhance stability also providing a place to insert your quiver. It also has a deep scabbard which is perfect for tucking a rifle inside. This is one of the best bow hunting packs out there.
These two weapon carrying systems are easy to reach for the hunter, allowing for an easy draw. The advantage of it is that you don’t have to choose between one weapon or the other.
If you prefer, you can opt to carry both a gun and a rifle. The X1 is capable of bearing both. The load needs to be secure on your back. With the adjustable shoulder harness system, you can easily fasten the pack on your shoulders, allowing it to rest securely on your back.
This system is excellent for use by people of all sizes. With the vertically adjustable system, it is customizable to varying torso lengths. It even fits young people quite nicely.
And the padding on the back and the shoulder straps provide comfort while carrying the load on your back. Then, to ensure you have a constant supply of water, there are two hydration slots in which reservoirs can be fit. And using the appropriate bladder, you’ll remain hydrated while on the move.
- The X1 hunting pack has dimensions of 22.5 inches along the length, 11 inches in the width and 7 inches in depth.
- Its carrying capacity is 1900 cubic inches.
- This Eberlestock hunting pack has a deep scabbard for carrying a hunting rifle.
- The X pockets on the front securely hold a bow.
- With an adjustable shoulder harness system, the X1 can fit varying torso lengths.
- The backpack has two hydration slots where water reservoirs can be fit to keep you hydrated.
A younger brother to the Eberlestock X1, the X3 LoDrag bears the characteristic hunting pedigree. There’s no doubt that this is a contender for the best hunting daypack. It is uniquely designed in a contour shape, with the top and bottom tapering making the bag comfortably embrace your back.
This shape makes it wonderfully comfortable when carrying even to its capacity. And it can bear a weight having dimensions of 22 inches along the length, one inch in the width and a depth of 8.5 inches. This gives it a carrying capacity of 2000 cubic inches.
All over the body, there is an array of MOLLE compatible webbing that provides the ability to expand carrying capacity by attaching extra gear onto the outside.
To carry all this load without strain on the shoulders, the X3 LoDrag has side-mounted compression straps. By tightening these straps, they push the load higher up your back, raising the load over your center of gravity thereby easing the weight.
This hunting pack is perfect for rifle and bow users. Just like in the Eberlestock X1, it has a deep nondetachable scabbard that carries a hunting rifle. It is wide and very sturdy.
The rifle snugly slides into it and lies there in wait for you to require its use. When in need of it, the design allows for a quick draw of the weapon making you and it ready at a moment’s notice.
Then, Eberlestock thought about the different tastes and preferences. The X3 comes in a variety of colors; Coyote Brown, Military Green, Unicam Li, Dry Earth and Multi Cam.
Each one of these colors provides a shade of camouflage ensuring you’re kept inconspicuous. Select a color depending on the environmental characteristics and your preference. Whichever you choose, you’re getting a meticulously designed hunting daypack.
- The X3 LoDrag Pack has dimensions of 22 inches by 11 inches by 8.5 inches.
- This daypack can carry a total capacity of 2000 cubic inches.
- With the MOLLE webbing on the pack, you can attach extra gear on the outside.
- The LoDrag is capable of carrying a rifle or a bow in its deep scabbard.
- Its contour shape provides a comfortable position for carrying.
- It has side-mounted compressions straps that can be fastened to raise the load and position the weight over your center of gravity, thereby relieving the strain on the shoulders.
- The X3 comes in five different color variations; Coyote Brown, Military Green, Unicam Li, Dry Earth and Multicam.
- The color options all provide the appropriate camouflage.
For all you poultry lovers, Tenzing has a special product for you. It’s the Tenzing TZ TP14 Turkey Hunting Pack, and it is the best hunting packs you can find on the market. Why do I say that? Because it’s ridiculously versatile. First, let’s talk about its numerous pockets.
\Its main back pocket has dimensions of 24 inches by 14 inches by 8 inches. It has a zipper back sleeve pocket with dimensions of 14 inches by 8 inches by 1 inch. Then, it has two mesh pockets which bear measurements of 13 inches by 8 inches by 4 inches each.
In total, the TZ TP14 has 14 pockets and a carrying capacity of a staggering 4000 cubic inches. I know that has gotten you obsessing about the amount of gear you can carry. With such a carrying capacity, your bird hunting expedition won’t lack a single supply.
Then, Tenzing knows that hunting wild birds is an exercise that requires patience. They want to ensure that you’re comfortable and have included, as a feature in the pack, fold-down padded seat. This seat has dimensions of 12 inches by 13.5 inches and a thickness of 25 inches. It’s designed to give you utmost comfort.
What sets it apart from other packs is the legs. Yes, it has legs, well positioned on the sides. These legs are positioned so that you can sit upright on it while the backside of the pack acts as a backrest which happens to be padded. Simply turn the legs counterclockwise to extend them, place them on a solid surface, fold out the seat and voila! It’s all set.
For comfort, while carrying, the back has a pad that allows for easy air movement. This cools your back while walking, keeping you feeling comfortable.
Then, the dual waistband strap snugly hugs your waist and provides a contoured fit which secures the daypack nicely behind you. To keep you supplied with water, the pack is hydration compatible, able to accommodate a three-liter hydration reservoir. This ensures that you remain supplied with adequate water throughout.
- The Tenzing TZ TP 14 is the best hunting backpack that’s ideal for bird hunting.
- It has a total of 14 pockets which give a total carrying capacity of 4000 cubic inches.
- The main feature of the TZ TP14 is the fold out seat that provides you a comfortable place to rest as you hunt.
- The legs are made of aluminum and support the seat to give you an upright sitting position.
- The backrest is padded for added comfort.
- For airflow between your back and the daypack, there is a channeled, air-cooled back pad.
- It is hydration compatible able to carry a hydration reservoir of 3 liters.
This Elk Hunting Pack was designed and created specifically for the Rocky Mountain Foundation’s Team Elk, thus it’s named. It is, however, not just for them. Eberlestock took the ingenious design and features and decided that every hunter should have one. And when you do get this one, you’ll wonder how you survived without one.
First of all, this is a pack big enough to fit in loads of gear for your hunting trip. It measures 23 inches in length and 11 inches in width. The depth it 9.5 inches and these dimensions give it a total capacity of 3,100 cubic inches.
This is about 50 liters of capacity. How does one get access to all this space? Well, for added convenience this pack has two access points; front loading and top loading. Depending on your carrying position, you can choose which access point is ideal for you.
So you’re planning to fill the pack up to capacity, right? Of course, you are. Don’t worry because the Elk Pack can handle a heavy load. And it also makes sure that you can handle the load as well. With an inbuilt Intex frame, the load is nicely spread out across your back and ensures that most of the weight is carried off your shoulders and planted on top of your waist.
This enhances comfort while carrying and gives you a more upright gait. In effect, you’ll be more stable when walking, able to retain use of your hands for climbing and hanging onto tree branches.
The bag is made to be quiet. That’s what Eberlestock tell us. And they weren’t lying about that. As you trudge along in the woods, the backpack keeps mum. It doesn’t give away your position meaning your hunting will go much easier.
For carrying your weapon, there’s a fold away rifle scabbard that easily unfolds when you need it to. Your rifle will neatly tuck away inside it and is held firmly. But you’re not only confined to using a rifle. The M5 also has a built in bow carrier that secures your bow.
- The M5 Team Elk Pack has dimensions of 23 inches by 11 inches by 9.5 inches.
- Its total carrying capacity is an ample 3100 cubic inches/ 50 liters.
- For easy access, there are two access points; front loading and top loading points.
- For comfort, while carrying, this Elk Pack has an Intex tubular aluminum frame that eases the weight from your shoulders.
- The pack’s material doesn’t make noise while in movement. It remains quiet, making it excellent for hunting.
- The M5 also has a game hauling system for carrying the meat.
We’re now familiar with Tenzing as creators of uniquely designed backpacks with total functionality in mind. So we’re confident about presenting the Tenzing TZ 4000 Hunting Pack as one of the best hunting packs in out list.
Looking at it, you can tell that it was built with ergonomics in mind. From the shoulder straps to the waist belt, everything looks made for comfort. But its main attribute is its capacity to haul your gear with ease. It has a carrying capacity of 2500 cubic inches.
However, Tenzing knows that for an avid hunter, this may not be anything near enough. They save us from having to lug around a second pack.
The TZ 4000 has extra space in the side compartments. Expanding them gives you an additional 300 cubic inches of storage. Still, they didn’t stop there. They figured that after your hunt, you’d need somewhere to carry the meat. And since the pack is probably already full, you’ll need extra space.
Well, it has a central breathable meat compartment that can accommodate an extra 1400 cubic inches. In total, this pack has 21 compartments and pockets for your storage needs. But wait, you might be thinking that this load is going to be a burden for you to carry, right? Well, worry not as, built into the TZ 4000 is a rigid aluminum frame.
This frame will take the load, even it out so that it doesn’t concentrate its weight on your shoulders and lay it on your waist and hips. In effect, its center of gravity will be lowered, and you’ll be more stable on your feet. In further effect, you’ll walk farther and carry more. To secure this entire load, simply fasten the compression straps. The pack has five compression straps that run horizontally and four that run vertically.
Don’t forget your weapon. As a hunter, you need an ideal place to carry it and lugging it in your hands isn’t a good idea. Tenzing thought of this as well and made a boot underneath the pack. This boot folds out to hold your gun or even bow. It allows you to keep your hands free, knowing you’ll need them as you walk.
Meanwhile, you need to keep yourself well hydrated. Still, you don’t need to occupy your hands with this duty. The pack is hydration compatible and can hold a 3-liter water reservoir. Connect your preferred hydration bladder and enjoy an effortless supply of water.
- The Tenzing TZ 4000 Hunting pack has a main carrying capacity of 2500 cubic inches
- This carrying capacity can be expanded by an additional 300 cubic inches from the expanding side compartments and a further 1400 cubic inches in the central meat compartment.
- The meat compartment is breathable, ensuring there is adequate air supply to the meat.
- TZ 4000 also has an internal aluminum frame which eases the weight of the pack from your shoulders.
- With five horizontal compression straps and four vertical straps, you’ll firmly secure the load.
- The fold out boot can hold a rifle or a bow.
- Included in the pack is a hydration compartment that can fit a 3-liter reservoir.
They thought of a cool name. But they didn’t waste their time making up names; they made a bag that matches. It’s called the Just One Pack. You know, why? Because it’s all the pack, you need. It has dimensions to 25 inches in length, 11 inches in width and 6 inches in depth.
But wait, there’s more. The initial carrying capacity is 2300 cubic inches. Now, you might sneer at this and say it isn’t anything to be excited about, but Eberlestock was just getting started. When you realize you’ve got gear that’s beyond this capacity, you can expand it.
That’s right! It has what’s called a built in Cam Expansion that gives it an additional 2300 cubic inches of carrying capacity. Not yet convinced? That’s still not the end.
You can add their super spike duffel which gives an extra 3500 cubic inches. Now we see why it’s called the Just One. And we’re beginning to see why it could easily be the best hunting backpack in its category.
Once you’re done hunting, you need a place to carry the meat. The J34 has an exclusive meat compartment. This is a ventilated mesh fronted compartment that allows air to flow easily, thus keeping your meat cool and fresh.
All this space means you’re probably going to be carrying a massive load. To ensure you remain comfortable while hauling it, the pack has a vertically adjustable torso length. This ensures you fasten it on your back in the most comfortable position for you.
Still, the design, as Eberlestock tell us, is made to move with your body. It isn’t rigid and absorbs a lot of the weight ensuring maximum comfort. And the ventilated padding keeps your back-aerated and cool.
At the back, there’s a scabbard for carrying your weapons. Perhaps you’re an arrow person. The scabbard allows a bow and quiver to fit snugly. If maybe you’re a gun person, the gun fits perfectly in this scabbard. The position is convenient for a quick draw, giving you easy access when you want the weapon.
- The J34 pack is capable of carrying a capacity of 2300 cubic inches, expandable to 4600 inches and still expandable by a further 3500 cubic inches thanks to Cam Expansion feature.
- The pack’s dimensions are 25 inches by 11 inches by 6 inches.
- Meat is carried in a ventilated mesh fronted compartment that ensures it remains cool and fresh.
- The j34 pack has a vertically adjustable torso length to ensure the pack fits any body size.
- The ventilated padding at the back provides airflow between your back and the backpack ensuring you remain cool.
- With Eberlestock’s Quickdraw scabbard, you’re able to carry a gun or bow and arrows safely.
Once again, Tenzing delivers a lightweight daypack for the hunter. It’s a beautiful daypack that is as functional as it is appealing. It’s perfect for carrying your essentials for a day’s hunting trip.
It has a main compartment which measures 17 inches by 10 inches by 2.5 inches. There’s the front face pocket which has dimensions of 15 inches by 9 inches by 2.5 inches and an expanding bungee compartment that has dimensions of 9 inches by 11 inches by 2 inches. Added onto these are two side pockets with dimensions of 3 inches by 4 inches by 2 inches each.
All these compartments give this daypack a carrying capacity of 1211 cubic inches. For a small and lightweight pack, this is quite ample. Still, the main compartment is expandable to ensure you leave nothing behind.
You can also attach extra gear on the outside thanks to the compression straps on the lower part of the pack. Being lightweight, it ensures comfort while on the go. To complement this, the back pad is built to be breathable. This means that it allows air to flow between the TZ1200 and your back.
Also, running over your shoulders, the straps are made of the same breathable mesh. Securing the bag and bringing the weight to your hips are padded hip panels. These panels comfortably rest the pack on your hips and enhance your comfort. Then, you will definitely need a constant supply of water.
Tenzing has ensured that you don’t run out by endowing this daypack with hydration compatibility. In this system, you can attach a reservoir of up to 2 liters. Fit also a bladder, and you’ll be able to get hydrated as you move along.
- The Tenzing TZ 1200 has eight compartments and pockets.
- These compartments give the pack a total capacity of 1211 cubic inches.
- The main compartment is expandable.
- With a breathable mesh back pad, your back will remain aerated and cool.
- For added comfort, the Tenzing TZ 1200 has padded hip panels.
- It is also hydration compatible capable of holding a reservoir of two liters.
- This daypack is ideal for carrying essential supplies for a day’s hunting trip
What to Look For In a Hunting Backpack?
After meticulous research, you’ve identified the backpack that you need to have. Here’s what you should consider before making the purchase.
All the best hunting packs are made of high-quality material. Remember, the material makes up the body of the backpack. It’s the outer shell and needs to be strong enough to endure, not just the weight it bears inside but also the harsh outdoor environment. Polyester, nylon, and polyurethane are common materials used in these packs.
A good fabric used has to make the backpack waterproof or at least water-resistant. Why is this important? Well, you’re in the outdoors, and it starts raining. Most of the gear you’re carrying doesn’t like getting wet. If the fabric allows water to seep in, you might have a lot of damaged equipment on your hands.
The best are usually waterproof. If you have more money to spend, these would be a good choice. Water resistant, however, means your backpack will keep small amounts of water at bay but if it gets too much, the wetness will find its way inside. These are good for when in light showers.
Also, the fabric definitely has to be durable enough to last years. The amount of load you’re carrying can easily damage a light fabric. The last thing you want is the bag ripping and giving way for its contents to sprawl on the ground. Ensure the fabric is tough to the feel and there’s adequate lining on the inside.
Silence; this is a much-underrated quality of fabric but a highly important one. As a hunter, you’re likely going to be stealthily edging towards the game. The slightest sound alerts prey to the presence of predators, and when they start running, there’s no catching up. Certain fabrics make lots of noise as you’re moving. Find one that is minimal in noisy or completely quiet.
It might be the variation between going home with a kill or empty handed. Though strong and durable, the ideal fabric has also got to be lightweight. This isn’t a paradox. A lightweight fabric need not be delicate. It can still be strong as well. And with a light fabric, the backpack itself won’t have a lot of weight, leaving that to come from the load it will carry.
Hunting Pack With Frame or No Frame?
Some hunting backpacks come fitted with frames. If you expect to be carrying much heavier loads, then you should consider one with a frame. However, if your loads won’t be as heavy, then a frameless one will do. What’s the importance of a frame?
This design that is over 60 years old will place the weight high on your back, transferring the load more to your hips, therefore, easing off on the shoulders. It in effect gives the wearer (that is you) a more upright gait. Still, the frame suspends the pack from your back and enhances airflow between the backpack and your back. This makes it essential for hot environments.
Internal frames are used in small or medium packs that are used to carry loads that aren’t too heavy. For frameless backpacks, carrying a heavy load means the weight leans lower on your body and piling a strain on your shoulders.
So, before deciding whether to go framed or frameless, be certain of the amount of load you’ll be carrying with it. Remember, heavier loads are better born with a framed backpack while frameless packs will easily handle lighter loads.
Weapon Carrying System
You aren’t hunting if you’re not carrying a weapon. Some people use rifles while others prefer the classic bow and arrow. Whatever your weapon of choice is, the backpack you’re carrying must have accommodation for it. You obviously, won’t be dragging the weapon along in your hands, will you?
While hunting, you need your hands to be completely free especially when climbing, etc. A good system for carrying weapons should therefore securely carry the weapon of choice. It also enables the hunter to easily and swiftly remove this weapon without any resistance.
In the case of a bow, such resistance might damage it or bend its parts. You don’t want this. In a good hunting pack, there’s supposed to be a designated strap for the weapon and also a fold-out compartment for ammo. All these need to be within reach at a moment’s notice.
Yes, a size that’s adequate for your intended load is a factor to consider but also one that’s proportional to your own body size. For the backpack to be comfortable to carry, you need to buy one that’s ideal for your body.
The length from your shoulders to the top of your hips is the length to determine the size of pack you buy. Getting a wrong size might lead to strain on your shoulders and back and may cause permanent injury. Therefore, a good size will be more comfortable for you to carry, enabling you to go farther and carry more. Still, the backpack has to be adjustable.
Check on the straps and how they customize to your size. How many compartments are there? This is also very important. There need to be lots of extra pouches that can carry your snacks, water, ammo, etc. This might seem like an innocuous factor, but it comes in handy when you’re packing to the brim.
It’s interesting that a lot of people getting into hunting overlook this very important feature. The color isn’t about taste and preference; it’s about camouflage. That’s why a lot of the backpacks come in a rather generic color. This is because it has to remain inconspicuous to the prey.
However, there’s still room for choice as the backpacks come in varied patterns and color combinations. Whichever color you choose, it has to blend in with the environment so factor in your preferred hunting destination.
Finally, when choosing your hunting backpack, ask about the warranty offered by the manufacturer. In case you backpack develops any defects sooner rather than later, at least with a warranty you’ll be able to get an exchange. The period given as warranty will also determine the level of confidence the manufacturer has in their product.
A short warranty period means they don’t believe it will last long. Avoid these at all cost. When a backpack has a warranty of longer than two years, this should give you the impression of strong build and durability. Go for these.
There you have it folks, the best hunting packs for the money in the market. Companies like Eberlestock, Badlands, and Tenzing, have made a name for themselves in the hunters’ niche. All hunting backpack reviews you encounter will certainly have these backpacks featured.
And after our in-depth experience with them, we’re confident one of they will meet your needs. You don’t have to settle for one. Perhaps get yourself a daypack and a larger hunting pack. A hunter such as yourself needs a variety of packs to cater to your varied requirements, right?
This list is in no way exhaustive. These are the top fifteen hunting backpacks we reviewed and found fit for the hunting lifestyle. Whichever one you select from these fifteen, you should be certain of top quality and durability.
Most of these have a frame, whether internal or external, and that tells us that they are more than capable of hauling a great load. And you’ve seen from their features that you certainly can bear such a load and still be free to move without feeling the strain.
Other important features are good weapon carrying systems and a conveniently placed pocket for carrying ammo. So, if you want to choose the best backpack or daypack for you, you can’t go wrong by making a choice from the list above. Don’t compromise on quality. Happy hunting!